The deadline to apply for the 2021-2022 program year is on December 1, 2020. For details regarding the application process, please visit the Cultural Vistas website: culturalvistas.org/alfa
Please note that selection interviews will take place virtually in 2021.
Interviews for candidates take place in New York City and London between late January and mid-February. Candidates are invited to the city closest to where they are residing at the time of the interviews.
Please note: if selected to interview, you will be required to attend the interview in person on the day it is scheduled in order to be considered for the fellowship.
U.S./U.K./Germany-Based Language Training
March – June
- Customized one-on-one Russian language lessons with a qualified tutor in the fellow’s geographical area. This training does not require fellows to relocate and is meant to be completed in conjunction with finishing an academic degree or working.
Washington, D.C., Orientation Seminar
Late April or early May (3 days)
- Program information and logistics
- Intercultural training and preparation
- Current events and contemporary political and economic topics
Russia-Based Language Training
Mid-June – September
- Small-group classes at a Russian language school in Moscow
Moscow Seminar Program and Lectures at the Higher School of Economics
July – September
- Politics and economics in Russia, including recent developments
- Russian foreign policy
- Law and public policy
- Social and cultural affairs of Russia and Eurasia
- U.S.-Russian, U.K.-Russian, and German-Russian relations
- Cultural events and excursions in Moscow and surrounding regions
July, September, December, April
- Opportunity to visit three other cities in Russia (July, September, April) and another country in the region (December)
- Meetings with local officials, businesses, and other organizations
- Excursions to sites of historical and cultural significance
October – April
- Professional experience at a leading organization in business, economics, journalism, law, public policy, arts/cultural management, or a related field
Final Evaluation/Exit Interview
- Final review, including an exit interview, individual research and findings, and evaluation of the Alfa Fellowship Program