The deadline to apply for the 2022-2023 program year is December 1, 2021.
For details regarding the application process, please visit the Cultural Vistas website: culturalvistas.org/alfa
Please check back in late summer for updated information regarding the application process and timeline for the upcoming program year. You are welcome to request an application by clicking on the “Apply Now” button on the right at any time in order to receive a password once the application opens.
Interviews for candidates take place in New York City and London between late January and mid-February. Candidates are invited to the city closest to where they are residing at the time of the interviews.
Please note if selected to interview, candidates are required to attend the interview in person on the day it is scheduled in order to be considered for the fellowship.
Program Year Timeline
Following is the timeline for a typical program year. For updates to the upcoming program year, please check back in late summer.
U.S./U.K./GERMANY-BASED LANGUAGE TRAINING
- Customized one-on-one Russian language lessons with a qualified tutor in the fellow’s geographical area. This training does not require fellows to relocate and is meant to be completed in conjunction with finishing an academic degree or working.
WASHINGTON, D.C., ORIENTATION SEMINAR
Late April or early May (3 days)
- Program information and logistics
- Intercultural training and preparation
- Topical discussions and meetings on contemporary Russia
RUSSIA-BASED LANGUAGE TRAINING
Mid-June – September
- Small-group classes at a Russian language school in Moscow
MOSCOW SEMINAR PROGRAM AND LECTURES
July – September
- Politics and economics in Russia, including recent developments
- Russian foreign policy
- Law and public policy
- Social and cultural affairs of Russia and Eurasia
- U.S.-Russian, U.K.-Russian, and German-Russian relations
- Cultural events and excursions in Moscow and surrounding regions
July, September, December, April
- Opportunity to visit three other cities in Russia (July, September, April) and another country in the region (December)
- Meetings with local officials, businesses, and other organizations
- Excursions to sites of historical and cultural significance
Please note this schedule is subject to change.
October – April
- Practical experience at a leading organization in business, economics, journalism, law, public policy, arts/cultural management, among other fields
FINAL EVALUATION/EXIT INTERVIEW
- Final review, including an exit interview, individual research and findings, and evaluation of the Alfa Fellowship Program experience